Enjoyed a lovely day cooking with the Grow Green team in preparation for The Empire Cafe. We heard the story behind Ian’s curried carrot and lentil soup, tested out the oatcakes, created a deliciously simple beetroot and orange salad, and shared warm banana cake in the sweltering Playbusters kitchen.
We also got a tour of the Parkhead Community Garden – an edible oasis in the heart of the East End. They’re hoping to supply some of the produce for their menu at The Empire Cafe on Wednesday 30th July.
We’re saving Ian’s secret recipe for our Zine, but you can try out the yummy beetroot salad at home. It couldn’t be simpler.
Beetroot and Orange Salad
Serves about 6 people
- 2 large beetroot
- 2 oranges
- 1 clove of garlic
- splash of olive or rapeseed oil
- salt and pepper
- Peel and coarsely grate the beetroot into a bowl
- Peel 1 orange and cut into segments then add to bowl
- Squeeze the juice of half the other orange into the bowl
- Finely grate or crush the clove of garlic and mix into salad
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
You could try adding raisins or fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Photographs by Clementine Sandison